Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Wii thread part 1.2 - No Fake injury reports allowed

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-06, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Official Wii thread part 1.2 - No Fake injury reports allowed

Old thread - http://forum.dvdtalk.com/showthread.php?t=485377

Let's keep the Wii talk flowing - and keep it on the Wii.
Old 12-16-06, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totally off-topic...why do we create new threads when one gets long? I'm not complaining at all...just curious. Does the length of a thread affect anything?

And to make this on the topic as well...who's camping this weekend for the final real shot at getting a Wii before Christmas?
Old 12-16-06, 11:45 AM
Retired

For some reason long threads cause bandwith/server issues in this crappy VBulletin software.
Old 12-16-06, 11:49 AM
Banned

But old threads never get deleted as far as I know. Don't they always stay in the database? 3-4 year old threads get bumped often.
Old 12-16-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

but when they get accessed they still query the db which take a toll on the server.
Old 12-16-06, 11:56 AM
Retired

And closed threads can't be bumped, so it solves that problem.

And Geoff does sometimes go through and kill old threads.
Old 12-16-06, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Yes, I am camping for the Wii tomorrow. I plan on hitting up target no later than 5AM. If they get the same size crowd and shipment as last time, I'm fine getting there by 6AM.

But I want to be safe.
Old 12-16-06, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Yes, I am camping for the Wii tomorrow. I plan on hitting up target no later than 5AM. If they get the same size crowd and shipment as last time, I'm fine getting there by 6AM.

But I want to be safe.
Definitely a good idea...I think the crowds will be larger this time, since it's the last mass shipment before Christmas (providing that retailers don't advertise them for Christmas Eve, which, I suppose, is possible).
Old 12-16-06, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I posted it earlier in the older Wii thread. But what do you guys see as the best party game for the Wii right now besides Wii Sports? I'm looking to get another one in time for Christmas when I head to my parent's house. Gotta see if they like it.
Old 12-16-06, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 932 Likes on 649 Posts
I think it was posted that Rayman wins. I have monkey ball and it is a lot of fun but you really have to wade through a lot of crap minigames before finding some that are worthwhile. I have not played Rayman yet but it seems you will have to unlock the multiplayer minigames first.
Old 12-16-06, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by edytwinky
I posted it earlier in the older Wii thread. But what do you guys see as the best party game for the Wii right now besides Wii Sports? I'm looking to get another one in time for Christmas when I head to my parent's house. Gotta see if they like it.
Here's what I posted in the other thread. For the record we had 5 diehard 360 gamers and one non gamer. All agreed with the following:

Monkeyball garnered an hour of our time at my WiiParty before we moved on. Finding a decent minigame is a pain in the ass as it appears 80% of them are crap.

We booted up Rayman after that and spent a good 3 hours with it. Hands down, the winner. It should be noted though that not all the mini-games are simultaneous though, but some of the solo ones are just as hysterical watching others play. Also beware that you have to unlock EVERY multiplayer game by playing through the single player mode FIRST. So plan on spending some time on it about a week before your party if you want to use it as a multiplayer title. It only takes about 6 hours to beat the entire game though, so it isn't as bad as it sounds.
Old 12-16-06, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oddly enough Rayman is pretty hard to find out. It's not at any of my TRU's, EBGames or Gamestops. And I'm not going to dare drive to Best Buy. Traffic is a b!tch right now!

Thanks for the tip though Corvin. I'm probably going to lean towards that game. I might get that and Super Swing Golf but I haven't seen any reviews on it.
Old 12-16-06, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by edytwinky
Oddly enough Rayman is pretty hard to find out. It's not at any of my TRU's, EBGames or Gamestops. And I'm not going to dare drive to Best Buy. Traffic is a b!tch right now!

Thanks for the tip though Corvin. I'm probably going to lean towards that game. I might get that and Super Swing Golf but I haven't seen any reviews on it.
I'm lazy to go find it right now, but Pixy gave some impressions of Super Swing Golf in the recently closed Wii thread. I think he said if you like Mario Golf, you'll like Super Swing, but I'm not sure.
Old 12-17-06, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Went to Target this morning to see if I could pick up another Wii (I know, I know, I am an asshole for flipping it, yadda yadda yadda... I am watching them go for over 600 on Ebay now) We got there @ 0615, and there were about 30-40 people there. I went and talked to the guy in the front. He said that someone just came out and told them that they are only going to be selling 15 and they sent about 100 people home already. Sure enough, behind where the line was formed, there was about 2 dozen discarded coffee cups lining the sidewalk. We left, and I think my quest for sellable items has finished...

Which leads me to my second question. Check out this link. Here is an image of what it is.

Now I am sure they just iron a decal on, but the cost is about $35 bucks! Now, I have my Wii hooked up with component cables @ 480p projected with a Optoma HD70 and this is the best image I can get.
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us
What I want to know is how do they get such a high quality image? Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Old 12-17-06, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, I quickly glanced through the past threads, and if I missed this, I am sorry.

Check out this site - http://miiplaza.net There are some really cool ones! I just submitted Sean Connery, Hiro, Capirca 6, Boomer, and my little alien guy.
Old 12-17-06, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by gijon213
Went to Target this morning to see if I could pick up another Wii (I know, I know, I am an asshole for flipping it, yadda yadda yadda... I am watching them go for over 600 on Ebay now) We got there @ 0615, and there were about 30-40 people there. I went and talked to the guy in the front. He said that someone just came out and told them that they are only going to be selling 15 and they sent about 100 people home already. Sure enough, behind where the line was formed, there was about 2 dozen discarded coffee cups lining the sidewalk. We left, and I think my quest for sellable items has finished...

Which leads me to my second question. Check out this

Now I am sure they just iron a decal on, but the cost is about $35 bucks! Now, I have my Wii hooked up with component cables @ 480p projected with a Optoma HD70 and this is the best image I can get.
What I want to know is how do they get such a high quality image? Any ideas? Thanks in advance
Why? So you can flip those on eBay too?
Google for the answer yourself. I've already got mine going through cafepress.
Old 12-17-06, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sracer
Why? So you can flip those on eBay too?
Google for the answer yourself. I've already got mine going through cafepress.
No, it would be a gift for my little brother-in-law. I would love to flip a few more on Ebay, though, I really want a PS3 but the price isn't exactly in my price range. Hence my Ebaying lately.

edit: Ok, after some googling, I have found how to rip it with bluetooth, embedded files, etc... but so far nothing about getting a resolution any higher then what I have now. sracer, any help would be appreciated. Just a link or your search term would be great!

Last edited by gijon213; 12-17-06 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-17-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Stupid injury report ... I wacked myself in the head yesterday playing Wiisports baseball. I know a little wrist flick is enough ... but that's just not as much fun.
Old 12-17-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hey can someone send me a Wii message, I wanna show off the blue light to my friends
Old 12-17-06, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Outlaw
Hey can someone send me a Wii message, I wanna show off the blue light to my friends
Sent you one
Old 12-17-06, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Outlaw
You can also email yourself.
Old 12-17-06, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone else forsee Wii games not breaking the 9.0 mark on Gamespot because of graphics? I've pretty much disregraded Gamespot reviews now for the Wii.
Old 12-17-06, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
That's a pretty silly reason for them to not get past a 9. Did Zelda not even get a 9?
Old 12-17-06, 03:23 PM
Retired

Originally Posted by The Bus
That's a pretty silly reason for them to not get past a 9. Did Zelda not even get a 9?
Zelda got an 8.9.

I quit reading paying attention to gamespot scores a long time ago. The content of the reviews is worth a read, but their scores area always too low IMO.

If I just want to look at scores I stick with 1up.com and EGM...their scores are about right with mine most of the time, but the content of their reviews is not so hot.

So in sum, I read Gamespot reviews for substance, and use 1up and EGM if just wanting a score to get a feel for whether to check out a game.
Old 12-17-06, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gamespot, EGM, and even IGN have almost become useless for reviews of the Wii. With games losing major points for graphics and steep learning curves, the reviewers seem to have missed the point completely. Does anyone else find it funny that the gaming press are always complaining about the lack of originality in games but that pan games that try something new. Graphics can add to an experience but for me can never make the game. To be honest Gears of War is one of the best looking games I've seen, and after playing for five minutes I never think about them again. A great example of this is Madden, Madden for the Wii looks great but not when compared to the 360. But find me a person whos played a decent amount of Madden for the Wii and can go back to the 360 version. The gameplay is light years beyond all other versions of Madden.

One other game that the reviews did no justice is Red Steel. Everything you have heard about the lack of polish in the game is true, however, everything you have heard about the controls is untrue. After an hour of Red Steel I basically had the control down and was having fun. After 5 hours I was a pro at the control scheme and was having a blast. Its one of the few fps I actually enjoyed enough to finish the single player game. I can now say is Red Steel is my favorite control scheme for a FPS. I can't wait to see what they can do with Red Steel 2.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.